logo BDSP

Base documentaire

  1. Tuverculosis in relation to a history of peptic ulcer disease and treatment of gastric hyperacidity.

    Article - En anglais

    Previous studies described an excess of tuberculosis among persons with a history of partial gastrectomy for the treatment of peptic ulcer disease.

    It is unknown if any contemporary therapies for peptic ulcer disease, such as histamine type 2 antagonists and antacids, are also associated with elevated risks of tuberculosis.

    A case-control study was conducted during 1988-1990 in the Seattle-King County Tuberculosis Clinic to address these questions.

    Self-administered questionnaires were completed by 135 cases with active tuberculosis and 380 controls.

    A history of daily antacid use was reported by 11 cases (8%) and 23 controls (6%), corresponding to an adjusted odds ratio of 0.9 (95% confidence interval 0.4-2.0).

    A history of daily histamine type 2 antagonist use was reported by nine cases (7%) and 18 controls (5%) with an adjusted odds ratio of 0.8 (95% confidence interval 0.3-2.1).

    Our results, while based on a relatively small number of subjects, suggest that treatment for peptic ulcer disease has no influence on the occurrence of tuberculosis.

    Mots-clés Pascal : Tuberculose, Mycobactériose, Bactériose, Infection, Epidémiologie, Homme, Ulcère, Estomac, Acidité, Gastrectomie, Antiacide, Antihistaminique, Récepteur histaminergique H2, Chimiothérapie, Traitement, Washington, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Appareil respiratoire pathologie, Estomac pathologie, Appareil digestif pathologie, Chirurgie

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Tuberculosis, Mycobacterial infection, Bacteriosis, Infection, Epidemiology, Human, Ulcer, Stomach, Acidity, Gastrectomy, Antiacid, Antihistaminic, H2 receptor, Chemotherapy, Treatment, Washington, United States, North America, America, Respiratory disease, Gastric disease, Digestive diseases, Surgery

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 95-0188761

    Code Inist : 002B05B02E. Création : 09/06/1995.