Radiofrequency (RF) electrocutions are uncommon.
A case of electrocution at 196 MHz is presented partly because there are no previous reports with frequencies as high as this, and partly to assist in safety standard setting.
A 53-year-old technician received two brief exposures to both hands of 2A current at 196 MHz.
He did not experience shock or burn.
Progressively over the next days and months he developed joint pains in the hands, wrists and elbows, altered temperature and touch sensation and parasthesiae.
Extensive investigation found no frank neurological abnormality, but there were changes in temperature perception in the palms and a difference in temperature between hands.
His symptoms were partly alleviated with ultra-sound therapy, phenoxybenzamine and glyceryl trinitrate patches locally applied, but after several months he continues to have some symptoms.
The biophysics and clinical aspects are discussed.
It is postulated that there was mainly surface flow of current and the micro-vasculature was effected.
Differences to 50 Hz electrocution are noted.
Electrocution at 196 MHz, even in the absence of burns may cause long-term morbidity to which physicians should be alerted.
Safety standards should consider protection from electrocution at these frequencies.
Mots-clés Pascal : Radiofréquence, Electrocution, Accident travail, Homme, Technicien, Matériel télévision, Toxicité, Effet biologique, Médecine travail, Symptomatologie, Etude cas
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Radiofrequency, Electrocution, Occupational accident, Human, Technician, Television equipment, Toxicity, Biological effect, Occupational medicine, Symptomatology, Case study
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 99-0515159
Code Inist : 002A08E. Création : 18/05/2000.