logo BDSP

Base documentaire


  1. Financial burden of trauma care on a university hospital in a developing country.

    Article - En anglais

    Background 

    Trauma care is expensive and more so for the hospitals not subsidized by the government, as is the case in developing countries.

    In this study, the burden of trauma care on a typical Level I trauma center in Turkey was investigated.

    Methods 

    Medical, demographic, and financial records of trauma patients who were hospitalized in the calendar year of 1996 were analyzed.

    Results 

    A total of 347 patients had complete data available for analysis.

    The mean Injury Severity Score was 13.3 ± 0.5. Total hospital charges and charges per patient were $547,391 and $1,577, respectively.

    There was a positive correlation between the Injury Severity Score and the hospital charges.

    Although 54.2% of the patients were self-payer and the rest (45.8%) had some form of a health insurance, 5.5% ($30,496) of total hospital charges of these 347 trauma patients could not be collected by the hospital.

    Conclusion 

    Trauma care is expensive and reimbursement is not always possible, but the hospital's nonreimbursed money was within tolerable limits, and the overall financial balance of the hospital from the trauma care was on the positive side, even in the absence of government subsidy.

    Mots-clés Pascal : Traumatisme, Centre santé, Hôpital, Analyse coût efficacité, Economie santé, Traitement, Homme, Pays en développement, Turquie, Asie

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Trauma, Health center, Hospital, Cost efficiency analysis, Health economy, Treatment, Human, Developing countries, Turkey, Asia

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 99-0494866

    Code Inist : 002B16N. Création : 22/03/2000.