logo BDSP

Base documentaire

  1. Analysis of preventable pediatric trauma deaths and inappropriate trauma care in Montana. Discussion.

    Article, Communication - En anglais

    Annual Meeting of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. Sanibel, FL, USA, 1998/01/14.


    To determine the rates of preventable mortality and inappropriate care, as well as the nature of treatment errors associated with pediatric traumatic deaths occurring in a rural state.


    Retrospective multidisciplinary consensus panel review of deaths attributed to mechanical trauma in children aged 18 years or less, occurring in Montana between October 1,1989, and September 30,1992.

    The care rendered in both preventable and nonpreventable cases was evaluated for appropriateness according to nationally accepted guidelines.

    Rates of pediatric preventable death and inappropriate care, as well as the nature of inappropriate care, were compared with that of the adult population.


    One hundred thirty-eight cases were reviewed.

    One death (less than 1%) was judged frankly preventable, 11 deaths (8%) were judged possibly preventable, giving a total preventability rate of 9% for all cases reviewed.

    Considering only in-hospital deaths (n=77), the total preventability rate was 16%. The rate of inappropriate care rendered for all deaths, regardless of preventability, was 36%. The rate of inappropriate care in the prehospital phase was 16% ; for in-hospital deaths, it was 47%. In the emergency department (ED), the rate was 36%, and in post-ED care, 22%. In comparison to the adult population, the rates of preventable death (9% vs. 14%) and inappropriate care in the hospital phase (64% vs. 66%) were lower. (...)

    Mots-clés Pascal : Traumatisme, Enfant, Homme, Milieu rural, Epidémiologie, Mortalité, Diagnostic erreur, Montana, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Traitement erreur

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Trauma, Child, Human, Rural environment, Epidemiology, Mortality, Error diagnostic, Montana, United States, North America, America

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 99-0466793

    Code Inist : 002B16N. Création : 22/03/2000.