logo BDSP

Base documentaire

  1. Gallstone disease in an elderly population : the Silea study.

    Article - En anglais

    Background Little is known on gallbladder emptying and gallstone composition in the elderly.

    Aims and subjects Cross-sectional survey on the prevalence of gallstone disease and associated factors, gallstone characteristics and gallbladder emptying in a population aged >= 60 years.

    Methods Gallstone number and size as well as gallbladder motor function were assessed by ultrasound.

    Gallstone composition and pattern were evaluated by conventional radiology and computed tomography (CT) based on Hounsfield units (HU).

    Results Gallstones were found in 148/1065 subjects (13.9%), while 136 subjects (12.8%) were cholecystectomized with an overall prevalence of gallstone disease of 26.7% (sex ratio : F>M).

    Multiple gallstones (62.7%) and small gallstones (52%, diameter <= 15 mm) were seen ; silent gallstones accounted for 93.9% of the total.

    Only diabetes mellitus in women was significantly associated with cholelithiasis.

    Gallbladder fasting volumes were larger in gallstone carriers than in controls (P<0.01) ; residual and ejection volumes were also significantly greater in gallstone carriers, whereas ejection fractions were similar in the two groups (50.3% ± 2.4 versus 54.9% ± 3.0 ; not significant).

    Gallstone calcifications were detected in 29/91 gallstone carriers by X-ray and in another 20 by CT (HU>90).

    Moreover, 35 gallstone carriers had a score<50 HU and six had attenuation values between 50 and 90 HU. (...)

    Mots-clés Pascal : Calcul biliaire, Personne âgée, Homme, Etude transversale, Prévalence, Questionnaire, Composition chimique, Tomodensitométrie, Imagerie ultrasonore, Italie, Europe, Appareil digestif pathologie, Voie biliaire pathologie, Radiodiagnostic, Imagerie médicale

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Biliary stone, Elderly, Human, Cross sectional study, Prevalence, Questionnaire, Chemical composition, Computerized axial tomography, Ultrasound imaging, Italy, Europe, Digestive diseases, Biliary tract disease, Radiodiagnosis, Medical imagery

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 99-0311341

    Code Inist : 002B24A04. Création : 16/11/1999.