We investigated an outbreak of acute respiratory illness among adolescent ice-hockey players in an indoor ice arena in Stockholm that had a propane-powered ice-resurfacing machine.
We administered questionnaires to all players, as well as to a reference group that had played ice hockey in indoor arenas with electric ice-resurfacing machines.
In the exposed group, 55 subjects (55.6%) experienced acute respiratory symptoms, compared with 4 (7.1%) in the reference group (relative risk=7.8 ; 95% confidence interval=3.0,20.3).
The risk for pulmonary symptoms increased as time spent on the ice increased.
Levels of nitrogen dioxide up to 2 358 mug/m3 (1 250 ppb) were detected during simulated conditions of the incident.
The most likely cause of the outbreak was the high level of nitrogen dioxide that resulted from poor ventilation and a malfunctioning ice-resurfacing machine.
Propane-fueled ice-resurfacing machines should not be used in indoor ice arenas.
Mots-clés Pascal : Carbone monoxyde, Azote dioxyde, Toxicité, Poumon pathologie, Rhinite, Homme, Adolescent, Symptomatologie, Pollution intérieur, Epidémiologie, Suède, Europe, Appareil respiratoire pathologie, ORL pathologie, Nez pathologie, patinoire
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Carbon monoxide, Nitrogen dioxide, Toxicity, Lung disease, Rhinitis, Human, Adolescent, Symptomatology, Indoor pollution, Epidemiology, Sweden, Europe, Respiratory disease, ENT disease, Nose disease
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 99-0129957
Code Inist : 002B03M02. Création : 16/11/1999.