Carbon disulphide absorption during xanthate reagent mixing in a gold mine concentrator.
A xanthate reagent mixer at a gold mine concentrator was exposed to carbon disulphide by extensive skin contamination with xanthate powder and solution during the reagent mixing process.
Absorption of carbon disulphide was confirmed by the detection of urinary 2-thiothiazolidine-4-carboxylic acid (TTCA) Drager colorimetric tube testing during subsequent mixing recorded a maximum concentration of at least 60 ppm carbon disulphide.
An illness consisting of predominantly gastrointestinal symptoms began 20 h after the exposure.
Although this may have been due to carbon disulphide toxicity this is by no means certain.
The need for engineering controls, impervious protective clothing and full-face respirators with particulate and organic vapour cartridges is discussed.
This episode occurred at another mine site, unrelated to Mount Isa Mines Limited.
Mots-clés Pascal : Exposition professionnelle, Médecine travail, Industrie extractive, Carbone disulfure, Homme, Appareil digestif pathologie, Toxicité, Voie percutanée, Etude cas, Xanthate
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Occupational exposure, Occupational medicine, Mining industry, Carbon disulfide, Human, Digestive diseases, Toxicity, Percutaneous route, Case study
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 99-0066836
Code Inist : 002B03L06. Création : 31/05/1999.