Outbreak of Salmonella serotype Hartford infections associated with unpasteurized orange juice.
Context. - Acidic foods such as orange juice have been thought to be unlikely vehicles of foodbome illness.
- To investigate an outbreak of Salmonella enterica serotype Hartford (Salmonella Hartford) infections among persons visiting a theme park in Orlando, Fla, in 1995.
- Review of surveillance data, matched case-control study, laboratory investigation, and environmental studies.
- General community.
- The surveillance case definition was Salmonella Hartford or Salmonella serogroup C1 infection in a resident of or a visitor to Orlando in May or June 1995.
In the case-control study, case patients were limited to theme park hotel visitors and controls were matched to case patients by age group and hotel check-in date.
Main Outcome Measures
- Risk factors for infection and source of implicated food.
- Sixty-two case patients from 21 states were identified.
Both Salmonella Hartford and Salmonella enterica serotype Gaminara (Salmonella Gaminara) were isolated from stool samples of 1 ill person.
Thirty-two case patients-and 83 controls were enrolled in the case-control study.
Ninety-seven percent of case patients had drunk orange juice in the theme park vs 54% of controls (matched odds ratio, undefined ; 95% confidence interval, 5.2 to undefined).
The orange juice was unpasteurized and locally produced. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Salmonellose, Bactériose, Infection, Sérotype, Facteur risque, Jus d'orange, Pasteurisation, Etude cas témoin, Exploration bactériologique, Surveillance, Pullulation, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Homme, Appareil digestif pathologie, Prévention, Salmonella Hartford
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Salmonellosis, Bacteriosis, Infection, Serotype, Risk factor, Orange juice, Pasteurization, Case control study, Bacteriological investigation, Surveillance, Outbreak, United States, North America, America, Human, Digestive diseases, Prevention
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 98-0526302
Code Inist : 002B05B02F. Création : 23/03/1999.