Scalds in children caused by water from electrical kettles : effect of prevention through information.
Electrical kettles (el-kettles) were virtually unknown in Danish households in the mid-1980s, but have since become more common.
In 1996,65 per cent of all Danish households had an el-kettle.
As the number of el-kettles have increased, so have the number of scalds caused by water from toppled el-kettles.
The first patient with an el-kettle scald was admitted to the Burns Centre at Hvidovre hospital in 1988.
From 1988 to 1993 29 patients were admitted with this type of scald ; 15 patients in 1993 alone.
All the patients were toddlers 5-30 months of age.
When el-kettle scalds were compared to scalds caused by other mechanisms in children under 5 years of age, it was found that the former occurred to younger children than the latter (60 per cent of el-kettle scalded children were less than 1 year of age compared to 28 per cent scalded by other means), the scalds were more extensive (median of TBSA were 13 per cent and 6 per cent, respectively), and the scalds were deeper (53 per cent and 24 per cent, respectively, needed skin-grafting).
In 1993 campaigns were started to inform parents that the cord of the el-kettle should be short and not hang over the edge of the table.
In the following years a considerable decrease in the number of el-kettle scalds was found.
When the number of expected el-kettle scalds was estimated from the number of Danish households having an el-kettle, it was found that more than half the expected number of el-kettle scalds were avoided.
Mots-clés Pascal : Echaudage, Electrique, Enfant, Homme, Brûlure, Prévention, Eau chaude, Politique information, Traumatisme, Bouilloire
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Scalding, Electric, Child, Human, Burn, Prevention, Hot water, Information policy, Trauma, Kettle
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 98-0405318
Code Inist : 002B16J. Création : 25/01/1999.