Context. - Adolescents are at highest risk for infection with Chlamydia trachomatis, an important preventable cause of pelvic inflammatory disease and subsequent tubal factor infertility in US women.
Current guidelines for delivery of adolescent primary care services recommend yearly chlamydia screening for those adolescent females considered to be at risk.
- To describe the epidemiology of prevalent and incident chlamydia infection among adolescent females to assess the appropriate interval for chlamydia screening and to define risk factors that would identify adolescent females to target for screening.
- Prospective longitudinal study.
- A consecutive sample of 3202 sexually active females 12 through 19 years old making 5360 patient visits over a 33-month period, January 1994 through September 1996.
- Baltimore, Md, family planning, sexually transmitted disease, and school-based clinics.
- Testing for C trachomatis by polymerase chain reaction.
- Prevalence and incidence of C trachomatis infections ; predictors of positive test result for C trachomatis.
- Chlamydia infection was found in 771 first visits (24.1%) and 299 repeat visits (13.9%) ; 933 adolescent females (29.1%) had at least 1 positive test result.
Females who were 14 years old had the highest age-specific chlamydia prevalence rate (63 [27.5% ] of 229 cases ; P=01).
The chlamydia incidence rate was 28. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Chlamydiose, Bactériose, Infection, Appareil génital femelle pathologie, Chlamydia trachomatis, Chlamydiaceae, Chlamydiales, Bactérie, Epidémiologie, Facteur risque, Incidence, Prévalence, Adolescent, Homme, Femelle, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Dépistage
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Chlamydiosis, Bacteriosis, Infection, Female genital diseases, Chlamydia trachomatis, Chlamydiaceae, Chlamydiales, Bacteria, Epidemiology, Risk factor, Incidence, Prevalence, Adolescent, Human, Female, United States, North America, America, Medical screening
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 98-0395683
Code Inist : 002B05B02H. Création : 25/01/1999.