logo BDSP

Base documentaire


Votre avis nous intéresse

Le réseau BDSP met en oeuvre un projet d'innovation et d'amélioration de ses services, dans le souci constant de proposer des contenus de qualité adaptés aux besoins des utilisateurs.

Identifier de nouvelles sources de financements est la condition nécessaire pour assurer la poursuite et la pérennité de cet outil unique qu'est la BDSP, tout en le faisant évoluer.

Pour définir un nouveau modèle économique, nous avons besoin de votre avis : merci de répondre à notre enquête (temps estimé : 5 minutes).

Participer maintenant
Participer plus tard J'ai déjà participé

  1. Youth suicide attempts : a social and demographic profile.

    Article - En anglais

    Objective 

    The social and demographic characteristics of a New Zealand sample of young people making medically serious suicide attempts were examined and compared with those of a control sample of similar age.

    Method 

    Using a case control design, 129 young people making serious suicide attempts were contrasted with 153 randomly selected community controls on a series of social and demographic characteristics including educational achievement, socioeconomic status, income, occupation, religious affiliation and ethnicity.

    The age and gender distribution of the sample, and the methods of suicide attempt, were examined.

    Results 

    Almost equal numbers of young males (45.7%) and females (54.3%) made medically serious suicide attempts.

    The clear majority of serious suicide attempts were by overdose or poisoning (78.3%), with tricyclic antidepressants (38.6%) and paracetamol (37.6%) together accounting for three-quarters (76.2%) of all drug overdoses.

    Young people who were less well educated and who were from lower socioeconomic backgrounds had elevated risk of serious suicide attempts.

    Conclusions 

    Young people from socially disadvantaged backgrounds have elevated risk of serious suicide attempt.

    Mots-clés Pascal : Tentative suicide, Prévalence, Epidémiologie, Santé mentale, Facteur risque, Facteur sociodémographique, Adolescent, Homme, Adulte jeune

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Suicide attempt, Prevalence, Epidemiology, Mental health, Risk factor, Sociodemographic factor, Adolescent, Human, Young adult

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 98-0349643

    Code Inist : 002B18C11. Création : 27/11/1998.