Influence of socioeconomic and cultural factors on racial differences in late-stage presentation of breast cancer.
Context. - Breast cancer mortality is higher among African American women than among white women in the United States, but the reasons for the racial difference are not known.
- To evaluate the influence of socioeconomic and cultural factors on the racial difference in breast cancer stage at diagnosis.
- Case-control study of patients diagnosed as having breast cancer at the University Medical Center of Eastem Carolina from 1985 through 1992.
- The major health care facility for 2 rural counties in eastern North Carolina.
- Five hundred forty of 743 patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer and 414 control women from the community matched by age, race, and area of residence.
Main Outcome Measures
- Breast cancer stage at diagnosis.
- Of the 540 patients, 94 (17.4%) presented with TNM stage III or IV disease.
The following demographic and socioeconomic factors were significant predictors of advanced stage :
being African American (odds ratio [OR], 3.0 ; 95% confidence interval [Cl], 1.9-4.7) ;
having low income (OR, 3.7 ; 95% Cl, 2.1-6.5) ;
never having been married (OR, 2.9 ; 95% Cl, 1.4-5.9) ;
having no private health insurance (OR, 2.5 ; 95% Cl, 1.6-4.0) ;
delaying seeing a physician because of money (OR, 1.6 ; 95% Cl, 1.1-2.5) ;
or lacking transportation (OR, 2.0 ; 95% Cl, 1.2-3.6).
Univariate analysis also revealed a large number of cultural beliefs to be significant predictors. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Carcinome, Glande mammaire, Stade terminal, Enquête socioéconomique, Evaluation, Aspect culturel, Ethnie, Influence sociale, Diagnostic, Femelle, Homme, Tumeur maligne, Glande mammaire pathologie
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Carcinoma, Mammary gland, Terminal stage, Socioeconomical inquiry, Evaluation, Cultural aspect, Ethnic group, Social influence, Diagnosis, Female, Human, Malignant tumor, Mammary gland diseases
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 98-0321290
Code Inist : 002B20E02. Création : 27/11/1998.