logo BDSP

Base documentaire

  1. Drug utilization 90% : a simple method for assessing the quality of drug prescribing.

    Article - En anglais


    To describe a simple method for assessing the quality of drug prescribing.


    We tested the idea that the number of drugs accounting for 90% of drug use - drug utilization 90% (DU90%) - may serve as an indicator of the quality of drug prescribing.

    We ranked the drugs by volume of defined daily doses (DDD) and determined how many drugs accounted for the DU90% segment.

    We also compared this segment with the pharmacotherapeutic guidelines issued by the Regional (local) Drug Committee to determine the adherence to its recommendations (index of adherence).

    The cost per DDD within the DU90% segment and for the remaining 10% was also calculated.

    The utilization of drugs based on prescriptions purchased during April 1995 was determined for 24 primary health care (PHC) centres in southwestern Stockholm.


    The number of different products, defined as all products marketed under a single brand name within an ATC (anatomic therapeutic chemical) category, in the DU90% segment varied twofold (81-164) between the 24 PHC centres.

    Differences in the number of GPs per PHC centre accounted for a third of this variation.

    The compliance with the Drug Committee recommendations varied between 54% and 78%. There was no relationship between the number of products accounting for the DU90% segment and the adherence to local prescription guidelines, i.e. prescribing more products did not increase the adherence.

    The costs for the DU90% drugs varied from 2. (...)

    Mots-clés Pascal : Médicament, Prescription médicale, Qualité, Méthode étude, Coût

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Drug, Medical prescription, Quality, Investigation method, Costs

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 98-0268041

    Code Inist : 002B30A01C. Création : 11/09/1998.