Annual meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Philadelphia, USA, 1996/10.
A retrospective analysis was conducted using state Medicaid prescription drug reimbursement claims for youths aged 5 through 14 years according to the race of the recipients of psychotropic and medical drugs.
A personbased data set was created from Medicaid administrative data for fiscal year 1991 from the state of Maryland to yield the following :
(1) estimates of prevalence of prescription recipients per 100 eligible enrollees ;
(2) relative prescription use ratios according to race (African-American versus Caucasian) ;
and (3) the interrelation of race and geographic region on prescription prevalence.
Five major findings were observed :
(1) African-American youths with Medicaid insurance aged 5 through 14 were less than half (39% to 52%) as likely to have been prescribed psychotropic medications as Caucasian youths with Medicaid insurance ;
(2) the relative difference for nonpsychotropic medication classes was much less pronounced : African-American youths were prescribed nonpsychotropic medications at a rate 60% to 87% of the Caucasian youths'rate ;
(3) the stimulants (essentially methylphenidate) had the most disparate African-AmericanlCaucasian ratio (1 : 2.5) ;
(4) the racial disparity for psychotropics was not altered by partial (noncontinuous enrollment) eligibility status ;
and (5) although geographic variation reduced the racial disparity, the substantial racial difference (1 : 2.0) remained. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Prescription médicale, Assurance maladie, Chimiothérapie, Psychotrope, Traitement, Trouble psychiatrique, Race, Système santé, Maryland, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Epidémiologie, Enfant, Homme, Adolescent, Medicaid
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Medical prescription, Health insurance, Chemotherapy, Psychotropic, Treatment, Mental disorder, Race, Health system, Maryland, United States, North America, America, Epidemiology, Child, Human, Adolescent
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 98-0108246
Code Inist : 002B02B11. Création : 22/06/1998.