Effects of residence in Alzheimer disease special care units on functional outcomes.
Context. - Alzheimer disease special care units (SCUs) in nursing homes are increasingly prevalent, but little is known about their effects on residents'outcomes.
- To analyze the effect of SCU residence on the rates at which residents decline in functional status.
- A cohort of nursing home residents assessed at multiple points during about 1 year.
Facility staff completed all assessments using the Minimum Data Set for Nursing Home Resident Assessment and Care Screening (MDS).
Selling. - Medicare-or Medicaid-certified nursing facilities.
Patients or Other Participants
- All nursing home residents in 1993 and early 1994 in Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, and South Dakota.
Serial MDS assessments of 77 337 residents in more than 800 facilities, including 1228 residents in 48 facilities with SCUs.
Main Outcome Measures
- Decline in locomotion, transferring, toileting, eating, dressing, and a summary activities of daily living index ; decline in urinary and bowel continence ; and significant weight loss.
- No statistically significant difference was observed in the speed of decline for residents in SCUs and traditional units in any of the 9 outcomes.
Residents were matched on a variety of characteristics, and subgroup analyses were performed.
In none did we observe a pattern of better outcomes among SCU residents. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Démence Alzheimer, Etude cohorte, Etablissement troisième âge, Nursing, Prévalence, Facteur efficacité, Stratégie, Evaluation, Qualité vie, Système nerveux pathologie, Système nerveux central pathologie, Encéphale pathologie, Maladie dégénérative, Organisation santé, Technique
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Alzheimer disease, Cohort study, Homes for the aged, Nursing, Prevalence, Effectiveness factor, Strategy, Evaluation, Quality of life, Nervous system diseases, Central nervous system disease, Cerebral disorder, Degenerative disease, Public health organization, Technique
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 97-0542710
Code Inist : 002B30A03B. Création : 24/03/1998.