A computer-administered telephone interview to identify mental disorders.
Context. - Common mental disorders are often not identified in primary care settings.
- To evaluate the validity and clinical utility of a telephone-assisted computer-administered version of Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders (PRIME-MD), a brief questionnaire and interview instrument designed to identify psychiatric disorders in primary care patients.
- Comparison of diagnoses obtained by computer over the telephone using interactive voice response (IVR) technology vs those obtained by a trained clinician over the telephone using the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV [Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition] Diagnosis (SCID).
A subsample also received the clinician-administered version of PRIME-MD.
- Outpatients (N=200) from 4 primary care clinics, an eating disorders clinic, an alcohol treatment facility, psychiatric outpatients, and community controls.
- Interviews conducted by telephone, except for face-to-face administration of PRIME-MD, which was conducted at either the primary care clinic or a research clinic.
Measurements and Main Results
- Prevalence rates for any psychiatric disorder were similar between diagnoses made by the computer and those made by a mental health professional using the SCID (60.0% vs 58.5%). Prevalence rates for individual diagnoses were generally similar across versions. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Trouble psychiatrique, Epidémiologie, Evaluation, Analyse assistée, Diagnostic, Renseignement téléphonique, Etude comparative, Enquête sur terrain, Homme, Système nerveux pathologie, Psychopathologie, Psychiatrie, Informatique, Technique
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Mental disorder, Epidemiology, Evaluation, Computer aided analysis, Diagnosis, Telephone information, Comparative study, Field inquiry, Human, Nervous system diseases, Psychopathology, Psychiatry, Computer science, Technique
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 97-0485177
Code Inist : 002B28C. Création : 03/02/1998.