The American Thoracic Society (ATS) published guidelines based on expert opinion and published data-but not clinically derived or validated-for treating adult outpatients with community-acquired pneumonia.
- To compare medical outcomes and antimicrobial costs for patients whose antimicrobial therapy was consistent or inconsistent with ATS guidelines.
- Multicenter, prospective cohort study.
- Emergency departments, medical clinics, and practitioner offices affiliated with 3 university hospitals, 1 community teaching hospital, and 1 health maintenance organization.
- A total of 864 immunocompetent, adult outpatients with community-acquired pneumonia : 546 aged 60 years or younger with no comorbidity and 318 older than 60 years or with 1 comorbidity or more.
- Patients'antimicrobial therapy was classified as being consistent or inconsistent with the ATS guidelines.
Mortality, subsequent hospitalization, medical complications, symptom resolution, return to work and usual activities, health-related quality of life, and antimicrobial costs were compared among those treated consistently or inconsistently with the guidelines.
- Outpatients aged 60 years or younger with no comorbidity who were prescribed therapy consistent with ATS guidelines (ie, erythromycin with some exceptions) had 3-fold lower antimicrobial costs ($5.43 vs $18.51 ; P<. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Pneumonie, Infection communautaire, Etude cohorte, Antimicrobien, Coût, Traitement, Immunocompétence, Indication, Evaluation, Homme, Appareil respiratoire pathologie, Poumon pathologie, Organisation santé, Immunopathologie, Bactériose, Infection, Chimiothérapie, Immunodéficit, American Thoracic Society Guidelines
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Pneumonia, Community acquired infection, Cohort study, Antimicrobial agent, Costs, Treatment, Immunocompetence, Indication, Evaluation, Human, Respiratory disease, Lung disease, Public health organization, Immunopathology, Bacteriosis, Infection, Chemotherapy, Immune deficiency
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 97-0381072
Code Inist : 002B11D. Création : 12/09/1997.