- To evaluate controlled evidence on the efficacy of distance medicine technologies in clinical practice and health care outcome.
- Systematic electronic database and manual searches (19661996) were conducted to identify clinical trial reports on distance medicine applications.
- Three eligibility criteria were applied :
prospective, contemporaneously controlled clinical trial with random assignment of the intervention ;
electronic distance technology application in the intervention group and no similar intervention in the control group ;
and measurement of the intervention effect on process or outcome of care.
- Data were abstracted by independent reviewers using a standardized abstraction form and the quality of methodology was scored.
Distance technology applications were described in 6 categories : computerized communication, telephone follow-up and counseling, telephone reminders, interactive telephone systems, after-hours telephone access, and telephone screening.
- Of 80 eligible clinical trials, 61 (76%) analyzed provider-initiated communication with patients and 50 (63%) reported positive outcome, improved performance, or significant benefits, including studies of computerized communication (7 of 7), telephone follow-up and counseling (20 of 37), telephone reminders (14 of 23), interactive telephone systems (5 of 6), telephone access (3 of 4), and telephone screening (1 of 3). (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Conduction électronique, Communication information, Evaluation, Technologie, Relation médecin malade, Relais distance, Télémédecine, Soin intégré, Qualité service, Article synthèse, Homme, Revue bibliographique, Organisation santé, Technique
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Electronic conduction, Information communication, Evaluation, Technology, Physician patient relation, Distance relay, Telemedicine, Managed care, Service quality, Review, Human, Bibliographic review, Public health organization, Technique
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 97-0381069
Code Inist : 002B28A. Création : 12/09/1997.