The use of claims databases for outcomes research : Rationale, challenges, and strategies.
Annual international meeting of the Association for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcome Research. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA), 1996/05/12.
Health care payers and policy makers need information about the cost and effectiveness of medical treatments.
While randomized controlled trials historically are the primary source of medical information, they are expensive and labor-intensive, and often have limited utility for answering questions about « real-world » patient populations.
These problems have led to an increasing reliance on claims database research in making policy decisions about treatment options.
However, both researchers and decision makers should recognize the limitations and unique features of claims databases.
Recommendations for avoiding or minimizing threats to internal validity, construct validity, and external validity are :
(1) use of a study design that includes comparisons ;
(2) ensuring that the study design and conclusions are consistent with the database ;
(3) a priori conceptual modeling of the research question ;
(4) use of appropriate constructs ;
(5) explicit examination of alternative explanations for study findings ;
(6) sensitivity analyses of key assumptions ;
(7) awareness of the distinction between statistical and practical significance of findings ;
(8) generalization only when appropriate ;
and (9) reporting of relevant information.
Given that any study design or data source has limitations, we hope that this paper will encourage a philosophy of methodological pluralism in outcomes research. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Base donnée, Recherche scientifique, Politique sanitaire, Economie santé, Méthodologie, Réclamation, Prise décision, Homme, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Database, Scientific research, Health policy, Health economy, Methodology, Protest, Decision making, Human, United States, North America, America
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 97-0315835
Code Inist : 002B30A01A1. Création : 12/09/1997.