- To evaluate the economic consequences of introducing inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) into the routine vaccination schedule in the United States to reduce vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis (VAPP).
- Cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness models were formulated to compare the current national 4-dose live attenuated oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV) schedule with a 4-dose IPV schedule or a sequential schedule of 2 doses of IPV followed by 2 doses of OPV.
Model assumptions were derived from the National Health Interview Survey (1994), current prices for OPV and IPV, a Delphi panel, compensatory awards by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, and published and unpublished reports.
- Annual societal incremental cost relative to the current schedule for the cost-benefit model ; cost per VAPP case prevented for the cost-effectiveness model.
- Changing to an IPV-only or a sequential schedule would cost $28.1 million and $14.7 million, respectively.
The costs per case of VAPP prevented were estimated as $3.0 million and $3.1 million for each option, respectively.
Outcomes were most sensitive to the number of additional visits that may occur to avoid multiple injections.
- The introduction of IPV into the routine vaccination schedule would not be cost-beneficial at current vaccine prices and with the current compensation awards paid to VAPP cases. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Vaccination, Poliovirus, Enterovirus, Picornaviridae, Virus, Enfant, Homme, Coût, Efficacité, Poliomyélite antérieure, Virose, Infection, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Système nerveux pathologie, Système nerveux central pathologie, Moelle épinière pathologie
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Vaccination, Poliovirus, Enterovirus, Picornaviridae, Virus, Child, Human, Costs, Efficiency, Acute anterior poliomyelitis, Viral disease, Infection, United States, North America, America, Nervous system diseases, Central nervous system disease, Spinal cord disease
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 96-0451958
Code Inist : 002B30A01C. Création : 10/04/1997.