logo BDSP

Base documentaire


  1. Epidemiology and implications of ocular trauma admitted to hospital in Scotland.

    Article - En anglais

    Objectives

    To describe the current epidemiology of serious ocular trauma which necessitates admission to hospital so that health and safety strategies for the prevention of ocular injuries and their role within the national health strategy, The Health of the Nation, can be better informed.

    Design

    A prospective observational study of all patients with ocular trauma admitted to hospital under the care of a consultant ophthalmologist between 1 November 1991 and 31 October 1992.

    Setting

    All ophthalmic departments in Scotland.

    Subjects

    All patients with ocular trauma admitted to hospital in Scotland.

    The population of Scotland represented the population at risk of injury.

    Measures and main results

    Measures included the type and cause of injury, the place where it occurred, and awareness of risk and safety.

    All ophthalmic departments in Scotland participated and 428 admissions were reported.

    The home was the most common place for a serious injury to occur (30.2%), followed by the workplace (19.6%) and a sports or leisure facility (15.8%). The home was the single most frequent place of injury for the 0-15 year and 65 year and over age groups.

    Tools or machinery, either at home (13.9%) or at work (10.3%), were collectively (24.2%) the most frequent cause of injury, followed by assault (21.8%) and sports-related activities (12.5%). The most frequent type of injury was a blunt injury (54.4%). Six per cent (n=25) of all injuries were bilateral.

    Only 13. (...)

    Mots-clés Pascal : Traumatisme, Oeil, Indice gravité, Hospitalisation, Epidémiologie, Etiologie, Homme, Ecosse, Grande Bretagne, Royaume Uni, Europe, Prospective, Oeil pathologie

    Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Trauma, Eye, Severity score, Hospitalization, Epidemiology, Etiology, Human, Scotland, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Europe, Prospective, Eye disease

    Logo du centre Notice produite par :
    Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique

    Cote : 96-0428478

    Code Inist : 002B16C. Création : 10/04/1997.