Alcohol treatment and health care system reform : The contribution of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy research to national mental health care.
After reviewing the empirical literature, we suggest that advances in the assessment and treatment of alcohol problems have the following important implications for health care system reform :
(1) alcohol use disorders and problems associated with alcohol use are prevalent and are complicated by various comorbid conditions, and they result in large costs to the health care system and to society ;
(2) alcohol treatment generally results in reduced drinking and more efficient use of health care resources ;
(3) specific treatments have demonstrated effectiveness ;
(4) screening and assessment instruments with excellent sensitivity to the heterogeneity of alcohol problems have been developed ;
(5) evidence that specific treatments have differential effectiveness with different patient groups is accumulating ;
and (6) good evidence exists for the effectiveness of brief interventions, particularly with less severe and chronic alcohol problems.
These findings suggest that alcohol treatment services in a reformed health care system should include (1) universal coverage for alcohol treatment, including full benefits for outpatient care ; (2) a rational system of assessment and triage for treatment, including an increased emphasis on screening and brief interventions in primary medical care settings ; (3) a full range of treatment services that vary in intensity ; and (4) addictions treatment provider incentives and contingencies to provide treatments of proven effectiveness. (...)
Mots-clés Pascal : Alcoolisme, Traitement, Sevrage toxique, Système santé, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Organisation santé, Homme, Article synthèse, Réforme
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Alcoholism, Treatment, Poison withdrawal, Health system, United States, North America, America, Public health organization, Human, Review
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 96-0399911
Code Inist : 002B18I15. Création : 10/04/1997.