Incidence of and treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.
- To describe trends in incidence and treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast in the United States between 1973 and 1992 and to estimate total numbers of in situ cases diagnosed and numbers treated by mastectomy since 1983, when screening mammography for breast cancer began to become widespread.
- Analysis of population-based breast cancer incidence data collected by the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program since 1973 and treatment data collected by the SEER program since 1983.
- All women in the geographic areas of the United States included in the SEER program.
Main Outcome Measures
- Annual age-adjusted and age-specific incidence rates for DCIS ; time trends in distribution of cases by type of treatment ; percentage of cases treated by mastectomy by geographic area ; and estimated numbers for the entire United States of DCIS cases, mastectomies for DCIS, and cases attributable to mammography.
- There was a marked increase in DCIS incidence beginning in the early 1980s.
Average annual increases in rates between 1973 and 1983 and between 1983 and 1992 changed from 0.3% to 12.0% among women aged 30 to 39 years, from 0.4% to 17.4% among women aged 40 to 49 years, and from 5.2% to 18.1% among women aged 50 years or older.
The total estimated number of DCIS cases in the United States in 1992 (23368) was 200% higher than expected based on 1983 r...
Mots-clés Pascal : Carcinome, Glande mammaire, Cancer in situ, Traitement, Chirurgie, Mastectomie, Tumorectomie, Incidence, Epidémiologie, Homme, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Tumeur maligne, Glande mammaire pathologie
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Carcinoma, Mammary gland, Carcinoma in situ, Treatment, Surgery, Mastectomy, Tumorectomy, Incidence, Epidemiology, Human, United States, North America, America, Malignant tumor, Mammary gland diseases
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 96-0187101
Code Inist : 002B20E02. Création : 199608.