Rapid accurate entry of microbiology results.
- To develop techniques to improve efficiency and accuracy of data entry in microbiology, using a commercially available laboratory information system that is keystroke-intensive.
- A combination of technologies, including bar-coded phrase sheets, keyboard macros, and bar-coded specimen labels, are used to automate the entry of commonly used keystroke sequences and combinations of culture findings.
- An acute care hospital laboratory.
- Laboratory technologists.
- Feasibility, report error rates, and technologist time.
- Qualitative : implementation of all three technologies proved feasible and practical.
Quantitative : a 25-fold decrease in misreported cultures, as well as a 50% savings in reading time for new urine cultures.
- This set of technologies for keystroke reduction would be of general applicability to laboratories with a variety of different laboratory information systems.
Mots-clés Pascal : Laboratoire, Microbiologie, Biologie clinique, Identification, Echantillon, Résultat, Saisie donnée, Exploration microbiologique, Automatisation, Technique, Etude comparative, Faisabilité, Taux erreur, Hôpital, Code barre
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Laboratory, Microbiology, Clinical biology, Identification, Sample, Result, Data acquisition, Microbiological investigation, Automation, Technique, Comparative study, Feasibility, Error rate, Hospital, Bar code
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 96-0094131
Code Inist : 002A05F05. Création : 199608.