- To determine the rates at which women received screening Papanicolaou tests, clinical breast examinations, and mammography and to determine the extent to which these women might be expected to respond to screening recommendations from their physicians.
- Random-digit-dial telephone interviews conducted in January 1993.
- Fifteen counties in southeastern Minnesota.
- A sample of 1019 women who completed the telephone interview.
- Self-reported Papanicolaou test, clinical breast examination, and mammography screening rates, with verification from medical records for a randomly selected subsample of 200 respondents who reported having had a test within 1 year of the interview.
- For women aged 18 years and older, 60% (95% confidence interval, ±3.4%) reported having had a Papanicolaou test within the preceding year.
For women 40 years of age and older, 57% (95% confidence interval, ±3.5%) reported having had a clinical breast examination in the past year, and 46% (95% confidence interval, ±3.6%) reported having had a screening mammogram within 1 year.
- Although self-reported screening rates in this population meet Healthy People 2000 goals, verified rates were significantly below target levels.
A substantial proportion of women in this population remain ambivalent about participating in cancer detection programs.
Mots-clés Pascal : Tumeur maligne, Col utérus, Glande mammaire, Test Papanicolaou, Mammographie, Exploration clinique, Minnesota, Dépistage, Epidémiologie, Homme, Téléphone, Comportement, Observance thérapeutique, Etats Unis, Amérique du Nord, Amérique, Appareil génital femelle pathologie, Col utérus pathologie, Glande mammaire pathologie, Radiodiagnostic
Mots-clés Pascal anglais : Malignant tumor, Uterine cervix, Mammary gland, Papanicolaou smear test, Mammography, Clinical investigation, Minnesota, Medical screening, Epidemiology, Human, Telephone, Behavior, Treatment compliance, United States, North America, America, Female genital diseases, Uterine cervix diseases, Mammary gland diseases, Radiodiagnosis
Notice produite par :
Inist-CNRS - Institut de l'Information Scientifique et Technique
Cote : 95-0281799
Code Inist : 002B30A03B. Création : 01/03/1996.